If you’ve decided to seek the services of a couples counselor in Glendale, California, Dr. Taji Huang wants to help you feel prepared. Perhaps you feel that your marriage is on the brink of divorce, or maybe you just want to explore ways to communicate better. Dr. Taji is a licensed psychologist with many years of experience providing marriage counseling, divorce counseling, and couples therapy.
One key to successful couples counseling is to seek the services of a therapist that both you and your partner can relate to. Remember, the goal is to mend your relationship, not to continue in a pattern of “you against me,” so it helps if you are both on board.
Some of the questions you might want to ask potential couples counselors before booking your first appointment include the following:
- How long have you been counseling couples?
- What are your credentials and experience?
- What can my partner and I expect on our first visit as well as subsequent sessions?
- How long does couples counseling last?
- Have you worked with patients our ages, with our values, etc. in the past?
- What are your preferred treatment methods?
Preparing For Your First Session
Making yourself vulnerable, especially in the midst of conflict, can seem scary. Once you’ve made your first appointment for couples counseling, it would be a good idea to sit down beforehand and think about the following questions:
- What are our shared goals for therapy?
- How committed is each of us to work on our relationship issues?
- If we are having communications issues, what might be causing that?
- Is either of us having problems empathizing with or feeling compassion for our partner?
- What can I do differently to support our relationship goals?
- Is either of us abusive to each other?
- Do our listening skills need improvement?
- Are we prepared to discuss intimacy issues and our personal histories?
What If My Partner Refuses Counseling?
Perhaps one of you is committed to therapy, but the other doesn’t want to go. Coercion as a tactic does not work, so resist the urge to throw down an ultimatum or force the other person to come if they absolutely don’t want to. Although couples counseling works best when both parties are present and committed, if only one of you decides to attend, it can still be beneficial.
Getting Help For Your Marriage In The LA Area
Call the office of Dr. Taji Huang in Glendale, California, if you want to improve your relationship or heal a troubled relationship. Working with an experienced therapist improves your chances of positive outcomes in the long run. Ask for an initial phone consultation today to find out how Dr. Taji Huang might help you and your partner get started on the path to healing.